Monday 15 June 2015

Vintage Heart


   Creative Expressions have some great MDF shapes, this week I've used the heart for my project, it measures about 7.5 inches tall x 4 inches wide and comes with a hole drilled through for hanging.

     I gave the heart a coat of white gesso all over, the chalk paints have a fantastic coverage but it doesn't hurt to make sure the surface is primed.
     The first coat of chalk paint is Mulled Wine, this is on the front only as this is the surface to be crackled, the dark colour will show through the cracks of the paler layer. The back will be lighter so I can add a message to it.  One coat was all it needed for a decent coverage..
     Once the Mulled Wine was dry I painted a coat of Crackle Glaze over it. The glaze has to be painted in one direction only to help the crackles form when drying. I chose to paint this across the heart.
     For the top coat I have used Shy Violet chalk paint, this was painted over the crackle in the opposite direction (up and down) once the crackle was dry.
     It starts to work almost immediately, this may have been due to a warm room. It is important not to overwork the paint or the crackle glaze will mix in and there will be no crackles when dry.
     The back of the heart is also painted with Shy Violet but has no crackle. Using flake and glitter glue I have covered the edge with gilding flakes, Persian Dawn. While I had the glue and flake to hand I also covered a small piece of greyboard with flakes, I did intend to die cut the name from this card but the colour was too light so I used some Foundations Amethyst card instead.
     Each letter was die cut and stuck on with Cosmic Shimmer glue, then outlined with a gold sparkle gel pen. I used pink ribbon fastened to a button to make the hanger, then covered the button with three small paper flowers. The butterfly came off a necklace from a discount shop, he is metal with an extra set of wings that stand up.




Materials used
CE MDF Heart Shape
CE Gesso - White
CE Chalk Paint - Mulled Wine / Shy Violet
CE Crackle Glaze
CE Gilding Flake - Persian Dawn
CE Flake and Glitter Glue









I would like to enter this hanger in the following challenges:
Eclectic Ellapu - Pink Team = Anything Goes
Anything But A Card - Out and About
Not Just Cards - Anything Goes
Crafting From The Heart - Anything Goes

3 comments:

  1. What an adorable plaque... love the crackle effect and the color you chose is so pretty... Thank you for creating with us at Anything But A Card

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet project...I love the technique and color! Thanks for sharing at Crafting from the Heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a FAB project, friend! Thanks for joining the “Anything Goes” challenge at Eclectic Ellapu.
    x Asha

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.