Friday 8 November 2013

Salt 'n' Flake


     This is my second Christmas card this week, which is a good way of catching up on some weeks that I missed altogether. In the run up to Christmas life is becoming busy so I am very glad that I've been making seasonal cards all year.
     The layout is inspired by a sketch at 52 Christmas Card Throwdown, the 'homemade background' by The Glory Of Christmas Challenge and lots of bling for CraftyHazelnut's Christmas Challenge.
     The background has been made using Cosmic Shimmer misters, a plastic bag and rock salt. I began by spraying the thick white card with the inks to spread them around, this gives a lovely effect in itself but I then sprinkled it with rock salt while it was still very wet. The salt absorbs the liquid around it causing the little blotches and rings of colour, this process should not be accelerated with a heat gun, it is much more effective when left to air dry slowly.
     The snowflake is a Tim Holt Rosette Die cut in glitter paper, I have reinforced the back by using surgical tape, this stops the perforations splitting when you fold but still allows a clean fold. There are two blue ribbons across the card stuck down with red line double sided tape as it's a bit stronger than ordinary DST. The greeting is a Tattered Banner from another Tim Holtz Die, edged with blue ink and decorated with a silver peel off greeting.
     I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:
The Glory Of Christmas - Homemade Background

10 comments:

  1. That salt technique is so effective - love the whole card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, love that background and the snowflake is stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is utterly gorgeous - love the colour combo - thanks for another entry for my CHNC challenges and also for sharing for the Glory of Christmas 20: homemade background - hope to see you again soon. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, that should have said Glory of Christmas 19 (jumping ahead of myself!!) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous Christmas card Rocky - such a wintery, frosty look with the blue and sparkly silver - love the background too! I've not tried the salt technique, must give that a go methinks!

    I thought of you earlier this week when the postie delivered my eBay purchase - I've finally got the beautiful PaperMania Christmas Cheer baubles stamp that I saw on one of your fabulous cards earlier in the year. You made me want it so badly I just had to get it!

    Thanks for playing along with us again at 52 {C}CT, please come back soon! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool, frosty colours - love the effect you've got with the salt. The star is so pretty. Thanks so much for playing along with 52CCT this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. BEAUTIFUL!!! LOVE that gorgeous glittery snowflake--this is SO fabulous! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The sparkly snowflake is gorgeous against the shimmery, frosty blues! Thanks for sharing this terrific card with us at 52{C}CT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for my late visit this time - I've not been well! This is a fabulous take on the sketch- love the background, Rocky - must try this out 'cos it looks amazing. The snowflake is awesome.Thanks for joining in with the challenge at 52 CCT this week

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great technique with lovely results. I must give it a try. Thank you for joining in at Crafty Hazelnuts Extra this month. Hugs Mrs A. (GDT).

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.