Wednesday 27 March 2013

Ribbons, bows and baubles

    This weeks Christmas card is inspired by ribbons, bows, baubles and the number three.  52 Christmas Card Throwdown are looking for ribbons and bows while CraftyHazelnut's Christmas Challenge are asking for three of something.
    I began by die cutting a circle out of my large DL card with a Spellbinder die. I then started to weave red and green ribbon to decorate my bauble. Have you ever started something and then wished you hadn't?! I did get in a bit of a tiz but I wasn't about to give up and I'm glad I didn't because the finished weave looks OK.
It wasn't helped by having a split thumb, which nearly gave the card more red than it needed!! At different angles the ribbon shines either colour, maybe because it's satin.
   Once my weaving was done I die cut a bauble cap from gold satin card and stuck it to the top of the circle. Then I added a chain peel off for the bauble to hang by.
It looked a little lonely so I added two small peel off baubles backed with glitter and hung on chains to keep it company.
   I recently got a bow maker free on a magazine so I though this was the time to use it. I used the same ribbon as the weave to make three bows, one for each of the baubles.
   It may seem a bit of a cheat to use peel offs rather than stamping but after all that weaving I really didn't want to risk a mistake on my card. The inside is decorated, I used the insert to cover up the back of the weave so nothing can be seen inside. The envelope is also decorated with a small bauble.
    I would like to enter this card in the following challenges:
52 Christmas Card Throwdown - Ribbons and bows

8 comments:

  1. Love the ribbon weaving - delightful card - thanks for entering this into both of my CHNC challenges x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your ribbon weaving is absolutely gorgeous - I so nearly did that! I love the addition of the little baubles too (and it's not a cheat to use peeloffs). Thanks so much for playing along with 52CCT this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something extra special all that weaving but soooo worth it.
    hugs
    Margaret M

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that woven ribbon bauble is outstanding Rocky! I can see I'd have had second thoughts about doing it soon after I'd started - I've no patience for that kind of thing! Your patience and persistence has certainly paid off and you ended up with such a beautiful, festive card!
    So nice to see you joining us again at 52 {C}CT! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is AMAZING, Rocky! LOVE the gorgeous ribbons you used and the fabulous weaving!!! Thanks for joining us at 52CCT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness Rocky - this is pure genius and really gorgeous!! Thanks so much for joining us this week at 52CCT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, no no, the finished bauble looks way more than OK - it's fabulous! I love it! What a way to use ribbons! This is a stunning card. Thanks for playing along with us at 52 CCT this week

    Louise xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations for the TH!
    What a wonderful card and great idea to weave the ribbons!

    Rosi x

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.